Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blog Post #93 - Letter writers - Famous letters from history !


When I was young and in college (long time ago!) my mom used to write letters and I was so happy to receive them and read/re-read them. Now, other than my office emails,junk mails and other useless emails in my inbox there is no letter of significance in my inbox (and in my deleted mails).

We write emails,facebook posts, tweets,useless blogs(like this),comments and everything else that may not be stored and sold in auctions in the future. I want to bring attention to few letters in history that changed the course of history or created history.

If you know more letters like these please post them as 'comments' to this post.



Science Letters

In one of my previous post I had written about Einstein and his letter to FDR.
Link to the post here
His letter was ignored by the US administrator up until the pearl harbor attack. After that the letter gained significance and the rest is history(always rest is history then what is geography?)

I read recently in the book 'Disappearing Spoon' about the letter Georgy Flyorov wrote to Stalin which encouraged Russia to start a nuclear program. Imagine one letter starting the entire nuclear program !

Charles Batchelor - right hand man for Edison wrote a letter a gave to Tesla . 
I had written another blog about Tesla and the letter he brought with him. Link to the post here 


Spiritual letter 
I had also mentioned earlier about Mother Theresa and her letters to Vatican,

Link to that post here

Mother Theresa was skeptical about her role ,God's plan and trust in Jesus. She wrote them as letters to Vatican which was published as part of her claim to Sainthood. Being divine is no big deal. Being a human and attaining divinity is where Mother Theresa proved to be worthy as a Saint and one of the greatest humans who walked on this earth!

From the Prison


Indian freedom fighters wrote letters - Gandhi . I was amazed to see his letters where he signs "I am etc.." or "Yours etc.." . Look at some of his famous letters here

As the events of the Birmingham Campaign intensified on the city’s streets, Martin Luther King, Jr., composed a letter from his prison cell in Birmingham in response to local religious leaders’ criticisms of the campaign: “Never before have I written so long a letter. I’m afraid it is much too long to take your precious time. I can assure you that it would have been much shorter if I had been writing from a comfortable desk, but what else can one do when he is alone in a narrow jail cell, other than write long letters, think long thoughts and pray long prayers?” (King, Why,94-95). 
     From this link



MLK wrote his famous letter  from Birmingham JailMandela wrote letters from Jail.

Here is a collection of 12 letters from Mandela.

1 country got independence, 2 others got equal rights for all humans by men who wrote letters from Jail(among other things)


There is a old Crazy mohan ( a Tamil play writer )joke  I remember where a person is asked "Do you read  letters to the editor?" The other promptly answers "I don't read letters not addressed to me".

I encourage y'all to read some of these letters(not addressed to you) to understand what they individuals tried conveying using an apparatus called pen on an unique piece of something called paper - in this day of apps and web - hand letters written letters are like painting inside a cave!

Keep writing(electronically of course!)
Sivakumar Manikanteswaran


No comments:

Post a Comment